Features I'd like to see added to FSFS2009
Poll ResultsVotes
Support for WideFS

1.95%
Support for helicopters

6.17%
Support for gliders

2.92%
Support for multiple sound cards (Added in FSFlyingSchool 2009)

1.62%
Instructors are too demanding - make it easier

1.3%
Instructors are too relaxed - make it harder

2.27%
Instructor watches and comments on other traffic

8.44%
More event driven (not random) talk from instructor even when nothing is going wrong

9.74%
More spoken helpful hints from instructors

9.74%
Option for instructors to tell you what failed when something fails

8.77%
Even if you crash - perform analysis of flight and of crash (Added in FSFlyingSchool 2009)

7.47%
Option to automatically submit scores to web site

2.92%
Optional monitoring of propeller pitch

8.44%
Optional monitoring of fuel management

9.09%
More types of airmanship tests

8.77%
More instructors

4.55%
Non-English speaking instructors - tell us what language you'd like to hear

3.25%
Other - please write a forum post or email us - info@FSFlyingSchool.com

2.6%
Member Votes: 66, Anonymous Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 7:46:36 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
SquadronLeader (11/27/2009)
Biggles:

I see what you mean.

Sadly we cannot ask FS for the barometric pressure at any location other than where we are at that time - such data is unavailable to us.

Doesn't MSFS use a std pressure 29.92"Hg, so wherever you are the pressure is always the same and the heights all relative to each other.

If the FSFS pilot asked for QFE for the destination airfield but was many miles away this could lead to a very confused situation as it would be (incorrectly due to the limitations) based on local pressure.

Tricky...

I am assuming the 29.92 equates to the QNH ? So as long as you know the field elevation  QNH height less field height = QFE. The problem only occurs if you physically enter QFE at a distance form the field. So let fsfs state the QFE & not automatically enter the QFE pressure. fsfs doing things automatically is not always desirable & can away form the simulation eg if you need to change frequency then change it, don't expect fsfs to do it for you (or at least give you the option for one or the other)

Biggles

Post #6046
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 10:22:41 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Last Login: Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:11:34 AM
SquadronLeader (11/27/2009)
Fenric:

Lots of good ideas - much appreciated!

I imagine that you, like Biggles, have considerable real world flying experience?

<snip>

If by considerable, you mean "some," sure.   Mostly puttering around in rented Skyhawks or other Cessnas.  (My instructor assured me that planes with their wings on top were easier to keep in the air. )

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #6065
Posted Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:01:57 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Biggles - not sure if I follow - what I meant was that the pressure varies all over in the FS world and if you wanted to know what the pressure is at the airfield you are going to, before you are there, FSFS cannot know this.

It only knows the pressure where you are. Again - I am not sure if that helps to answer your question...

And I agree completely - automatically setting things for the pilot is definitely in the option department as far as I am concerned - that way we can keep everyone happy.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #6080
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:28:50 PM

I had another problem with a go-around last night.  What's the proper method of issuing a go-around?  Is it to drop back to cruise mode, then raise flaps/gear, or to raise flaps/gear then shift back to cruise?  I've tried it both ways and I seem to lose points either way.  Either I'm crusing with flaps/gear down, or I'm raising flaps/gear when I shouldn't be.

I recall trying once to shift back to takeoff, but got yelled at about something... so what if we could advance the flight mode while in landing mode to "go-around", which would in effect be a pseudo take-off mode?  We'd then have to advance to cruise once we've gained 1000 AGL, we couldn't sink, we wouldn't be rushing to raise flaps and gear, etc.

If that's not possible / doable, then if we're aborting a landing - shifting back to cruise mode or whatever - and we're climbing, could Smitty/et al can the "Let's gain some altitude" callouts? 

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #6660
Posted Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:55:51 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi -

Good points - thanks for taking the time - very lucid ideas. This is an area we are looking at - simply switching back to cruise mode when you want to go around will get you out of most of the issues which make Smitty and friends complain, but not those you correctly mentioned. It depends on how far advanced your landing is at that point. If your gear and / or flaps are not down, you won't get told off for having them down when you get back to cruise.

What to do? Well... adding new flight modes to FSFS is a major design decision and not done lightly. It would result in a lot of programming would need to have big benefits. Our programming efforts have to be targeted at things a lot of our customers want and that would deliver major improvements in the product.

My best guess would be that we can improve the logic so that the instructor will know, or be explicitly told by the pilot, that a go around is taking place, but that we will not create a new flight mode to implement this. We should be able to achieve this with a modest programming effort and it really would make the experience a lot better.

Keep those ideas comin' !

Thanks.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #6693
Posted Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:52:21 AM

SL,

I was speculating that if one were in landing mode and tried to advance, instead of getting the "you can't advance" message, one could jump directly to take-off mode - which would then become a pseudo go-around mode but hopefully without the "now you're taking off" audio clip, although I could live with that.  I'd guess that one would have to not be decending first, else one would get the dreaded AmberTakeOffDecent in one's ear.

But if that's complicated and it's easier to allow a grace period to clear the flaps/gear/gain altitude warnings when shifting back to cruise mode, that would be great.  In this case, the ends matter more than the means....

So if/until something could be implemented, I'm curious if a pilot incurs more demerits when raising the gear/flaps before going back to cruise mode or afterwards?

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6696
Posted Friday, June 04, 2010 2:28:26 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:17:46 PM
I checked more airmanship tests, I would like to elaborate. I would like to see stalls, spins, all types of turns, as well as other student pilot procedures Also it would be nice, if possible, to have the instructor explain the procedure before the student tries it. Love the program it is a great learning tool.
Post #7446
Posted Saturday, June 05, 2010 4:37:44 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Indeed - a lot of folks want more hints and tips in general and airmanship tests, and this is something we are working on.

It's surprising how hard it can be to hold something as simple as a climbing turn precisely, but it can most certainly be done and that's all part of the challenge and fun.

Post #7453
Posted Friday, April 27, 2012 8:07:59 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:24:22 AM
Initial experience with the program indicates a rather brisk marking of the score sheet, more like a flight exam than a flight school, that has it's place for sure, but what about being able to adjust the parameters a little?

I was in cruise mode when my C310 hit a thermal (FSX AS2012 weather) as I was on the edge of the thermal my wing tipped up, I leveled as slowly as I could but still got "WHoa! Steady!" from Mr Smith, plus marked down for rough turns, this is a little extreme and pretty much unavoidable, an adjustable parameter would perhaps allow for such incidents.

The same with taxi turns, the slightest twitch beyond a very slow rate turn and the passengers are all suing for whiplash.

Taxi speed could be adjustable, 30 knots isn't over fast, 25 knots is pretty slow, I am even holding up the AI!

For a schooling effect, the instructor should call out before your breach the parameter as a warning, if you go over the line then you get marked down. This would at least give you a chance to avoid a bad mark, rather than the current model which nails you without a whisper beforehand the instant you squeak over the boundary.

Just my personal thoughts on the program, which all in all does add to the fun of the sim.
Post #9718
Posted Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:09:04 AM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:16:10 AM
Avian, I think you made a lot of valid points.

Maybe it would be an idea to have two modes available:
- A flight school mode, giving you some warnings first;
- A flight exam mode, being strict like the program is now.
Post #9746
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««34567»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:55pm