Error 13 X-Plane 11 - Unable to run FSIA

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Error 13 X-Plane 11 - Unable to run FSIA Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 21, 2018 1:50:14 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 23, 2018 8:44:33 AM
Hello,

After having purchased FSIA for X-Plane 11 I tried to set it up according the pretty straightforward instructions. Alas, to no avail.

The included FSFSRWYS.exe always aborts the operation almost immediately with an 'Error 13' and doesn't even start to create a text file; see also the attached screenshot. I've already searched the forum and it looks as if this is nothing new under the sun. I've also tried some of the troubleshooting tricks like setting the PC to US English as display and system language, but it didn't do anything in my case; my operating system is Windows 10 Home 1803 Build 17134.285 and X-Plane v.11.26. I also noticed that my already installed FS Flying School 2018 for X-Plane 11 and 10 is equally unable to build a runways.txt file. It just hasn't come to my attention yet as FSFS brings its own set of data and doesn't depend on building a database of its own like FSIA. And unfortunately running both FSFS or FSIA with administrator privileges also doesn't change a thing at all. For the moment being it looks like I am pretty much stopped dead in my tracks.

I know about the workaround with a text file already created on a different system but I would, however, prefer a solution that works natively as I'm customizing my installation quite frequently and have already noticed mismatches between my addons and generic X-Plane airports. Any ideas how I could get this to work?
Post #13574
Posted Friday, September 21, 2018 8:26:06 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi tomsky:

Thanks for your interest and your report - glad to help - I am sure we can solve this.

It should certainly not be necessary for you to change the regional settings on your PC, nor to use a 3rd party version of runway data in order to use both FSFlyingSchool 2018 for X-Plane 11 and 10 and FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 without issue.

These products are used by thousands of real and simulator pilots all over the world and we very rarely get a report such as this - so there must be something unique about the configuration of the PC or of X-Plane or of FSFlyingSchool or of FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11.

I'd like to gather some general data:

- What are the regional settings on the PC?

- What is the exact location of X-Plane 11 on the PC?

- Which version of FSFlyingSchool 2018 for X-Plane 11 and 10 do you have?

>> And unfortunately running both FSFS or FSIA with administrator privileges also doesn't change a thing at all.

Have you done the following exactly as described?

IMPORTANT! FSFlyingSchool (and also applies to FS Instant Approach) should always be run 'as an administrator'.
You should do this even if you are the only person who uses the PC and even if you are an administrator.
To do this, right click on the FSFlyingSchool icon (and also applies to FS Instant Approach), shortcut or menu item you use to launch FSFlyingSchool (and also applies to FS Instant Approach), select 'Properties' from the menu, select the 'Compatibility' tab, and turn ON 'Run this program as an administrator'.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13575
Posted Friday, September 21, 2018 11:30:29 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your quick reply.

The computer is a dedicated flight sim machine for X-Plane, P3D and DCS World. Not much else on it, as I prefer Macs for the rest of my computer use, just some utilities like Adobe Acrobat et. al.

- OS as already reported is Win 10 Home 1803 Build 17134.285 (64-bit). Standard regional settings are for Germany, but mostly used with the US English keyboard settings because of DCS World.

- X-Plane is - as requested by Laminar Research during installation - residing in its own folder on the system drive: C:/X-Plane 11. Exact version is 11.26r2 Build 112601.

- Version info for FS Flying School 2018 for X-Plane 10 and 11 says v6.2.0 dated March 21 2018. FSIA shows September 10 2018 (can't find any version number; neither in FSIA itself nor in Window's system settings.

- I had already elevated the two programs to 'always run as an administrator' through the Properties/Compatibiliy settings of Windows a slined out in the procedure quoted by you.

Did a reinstall of both programs with freshly downloaded installers today - again no change at all apart from FSFS now being v6.4.0. The FSFSRWYS.exe that both FSFS amd FSIA copy into the X-Plane root directory seems to be identical; Windows file information says it's a v2.1.0.0 dated January 27 2011. So it definitely doesn't seem to be an issue like the programs not being able to locate the X-Plane installation location. Running the FSFSRWYS.exe by double clicking on it results in the same Error 13 message, although without the command window popping up. Regardless of the method used there's no .txt-file generated by FSFSRWYS.exe.

Best regards
Tom
Post #13576
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2018 6:50:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Tom:

Thanks for all the data.

We are looking at this.

As I mentioned these products are used by thousands of real and simulator pilots all over the world and we very rarely get a report such as this - so there must be something unique about the PC and the installation of the data and programs involved.

Good news - it is certainly not the case that PCs which use a comma as a decimal point have this problem, for if that were the case we'd get errors reported to us every day.

We also know that folks are generating data all over the world, because the recently published FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11, as you know, requires the generation of data.

So... right now, my best prediction is that there is a runway or airport which is presenting the FSFSRWYS.EXE application with information it cannot process - which causes an error. We'd certainly like to be able to make any changes necessary to make sure that FSFSRWYS.EXE does not have a problem with whatever it is that it cannot process.

You've reported that the error occurs very quickly - is anything else displayed before the situation you presented in your screenshot?

Do the prompts change?

Is any counter displayed?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13579
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:09:50 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hello Jeff,

It looks like FSFSRWYS doesn't even really start to do anything apart from getting started itself by the batch command. No other prompts/windows than those being shown in my first screenshot. The 'Mapping data...' prompt pops up together with the command window and immediately after that the Error 13 prompt shows.

When deleting the previously copied FSFSRWYS the result is the same; I'll find a newly created copy of FSFSRWYS in the X-Plane root directory after closing/acknowledging the error message but that's it. No text file at all.

TBH - I don't think it's a problem with some particular airport file or something similar but more a problem of FSFSRWYS crashing pretty much immediately as soon as being started on my system. For what reason ever...
Post #13580
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:29:36 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Quick update - installed a vanilla X-Plane 11 on the second hard drive D: of my flight sim machine without any alterations or add-ons and pointed FSFS and FSIA to that second installation. Initially had an Error 6 ('Overflow') with both FSFS and FSIA with X-Plane not being updated to the most recent version, after updating X-Plane to the most recent version I'm back to Error 13. No creation of an FSFSRWXP.txt in either case, just the FSFSRWYS.EXE being copied into the X-Plane root directory and crashing immeditely thereafter. I'm suspecting that a missing runtime or .NET file causes this.
Post #13581
Posted Monday, September 24, 2018 1:47:00 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Tom:

Thanks again for the information - it all helps.

I am preparing a new version of the runway data generating program which I would like you to use so we can determine the cause of this error - I will have it ready shortly for you.

Post #13587
Posted Monday, September 24, 2018 5:32:48 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Tom:

I have contacted you by email regarding more data - please check your email. Thanks.

Post #13588
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2018 9:52:53 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Monday, October 08, 2018 10:44:28 AM
I'm running into a seemingly identical problem while trying to run FSIA(error 13 from FSFSRWYS) for X-Plane 11, was this issue ever solved?
Post #13600
Posted Sunday, October 07, 2018 3:13:07 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Krtx:

After an extensive investigation we concluded that the PC involved has issues that cannot be determined. The program ran fine on another PC the pilot had.

I'd like to get you up and flying with FS Instant Approach so to speed things up I'd like to gather some general data:

- Which exact version of Windows do you have?

- What are the regional settings on the PC?

- What is the exact location of X-Plane 11 on the PC?

- Have you done the following exactly as described?

IMPORTANT! FSFlyingSchool (and also applies to FS Instant Approach) should always be run 'as an administrator'.
You should do this even if you are the only person who uses the PC and even if you are an administrator.
To do this, right click on the FSFlyingSchool icon (and also applies to FS Instant Approach), shortcut or menu item you use to launch FSFlyingSchool (and also applies to FS Instant Approach), select 'Properties' from the menu, select the 'Compatibility' tab, and turn ON 'Run this program as an administrator'.

My best prediction is that there is a runway or airport which is presenting the FSFSRWYS.EXE application with information it cannot process - which causes an error. We'd certainly like to be able to make any changes necessary to make sure that FSFSRWYS.EXE does not have a problem with whatever it is that it cannot process.

- Does the error occur very quickly?

- Do the prompts change?

- Is any counter displayed?

- What does the program display in addition to the error?

Post #13601
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:40am