FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Boulder Mini tour Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:04:24 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
When ones best American friend moves state and timezone... making it even harder to communicate directly because of the timedifference being increased.... one must make other tasks to ease the pain.

So I asked if Joe would at least show me his new closest airport in Colorado, and he promptly responded (must be bored out there in the state of Stephen King´s Overlook Hotel...) with a 28 leg mini-tour of airports in Colorado.

And of course I took the challenge and started promptly.

Here are some pics of leg one and two...

We started out from Joes local airport Centennial (KAPA) and first leg went to Boulder (which actually is THE place of the hotel from "The Shining")

It was a 33 NM long leg, and I chose (it seems Joes wants me to use 6 different aircraft for the mini-tour) the Carenado Cessna 185 with Tundra Wheels.

The short flight made me decide against ANY GPS or Autopilot gadges, and only rely on the map as reference.

The weather (I use REX2-E Overdrive for sky textures and Active Sky 2012 for weather insertion) was not the best. I started out morning and of course with the trusted FSFlyingSchool Pro 2013 as my trusted companion.

Preparing the Cessna 185 for takeoff...                                                                              The flightplan ready in the system. FSFS autoread it easily... 33 NMiles@330 degrees.

Up up up and away... lots of clouds and such, but still ok visability.                                            But of course the fog entered the game... Dosen´t it always?

As the time went by and I tried to rely on dead reckoning (map and landmarks) light helped               But a postcard summerday would have been preffered for this. Where are the mountains?

But what am I thinking? I purchased a Ground proximity warning addon recently... Lets look.         OK all in the clear, and THERE... is the darned runway. Boulder - Here I come.

OK safely down... My latest addon Accu-Feel 2.0 did a good job of trying to tear the aircraft apart up there    But as  you see we made it, Smith and I, all the way...

Mr. Smith was not impressed with my first performance of the tour... 27.10 landingpoints.         and 65 landingpoints... BUT see at least some explanation below...

Of course landing a "bit" right of centerline did NOT help either.

The C185 was not in the FSFS aircraft hanger, so FSFS made autoestimates of the aircraft. this lead FSFS to believe that the Tundra Wheels could be retracted... I couldnt help it in the air, so that cost Smith to yell quite a bit about raising the gear, but that is just bad excuses for being a bit rusty. I havent flown much the last 3 months, and it showed...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10499
Posted Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:36:04 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

OK... Leg two (of 28, did I mention that?)

Noone in Boulder could point me to the Overlook hotel, but I did find an "OUTLook hotel" and stayed there for the night. Next morning - after a sound breakfast, and after the light was better than the last flight, I headed once again for my trusted Cessna 185, and prepped it for the next leg.

This leg went from Boulder (1V5) to Greely (KGXY)

Weather was even worse. Visability was down to meatloaf-on-glasses but God hates a coward, so I went on regardless...

No use showing pics from the ground at Boulder, but in the air you can just see the ground...               Although the fog once again came along for a free ride.               

Calling ATC at the destination airport could give me a little sense of how far still to go without GPS...              Now WHERE is the darned airport? No - not there  

No - not there either... But Ill find it eventually.                                                                              Ill just keep looking ahead... Hm.. some VOR training IS needed.

Great... The river. Now just follow that until the right turn, then the rwy is to the left.                        Close now... getting close.

THERE... I see it. Perfect timing.                                                                                              And now, just a slight bank to the left and we are in business.

Looking excellent still. Smith grab your notepad and get me 3 digits                                                        Of course I forgot it was a taildragger, braked too hard, and flipped... CRASH

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10500
Posted Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:07:01 AM

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31:09 AM
Awesome Ole!  Glad you took the challenge!  I'll be up flying soon once I get all my equipment back into my cockpit!

Joe Mini

President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC. 
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"  

Post #10501
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 2:12:09 AM

After this heartstopping crash on the runway (and thank God both Smith and I could still walk away, without even so much as a broken Scotch bottle in our flightbags) I decided to leave the Cessna "taildragger" 185 behind and head into a more modern aircraft.

Ehem... I then chose the BN-2 Islander. Not exactly a modern aircraft but with a fixed threepoint gear with a frontwheel, I was happy, and besides I love that aircraft, slow and bumpy, but so cool to fly.

Todays flight (leg 3) was from Greely (KGXY) to Sterling (KSTK) and was a slightly longer leg this time. about 80 nmiles.

Here is how it went:

Colorado weather is still not very cool, but the BN-2 is used to Britain so it didnt care                               And neither did I, so we set out for Sterling. (I´m sure there a villan in TinTin called Sterling)

My Nav log said 117 km. of flight - what´s that in NMiles?                                                             Tower let us go, and so we started rolling...

And soon my reinstalled TrackIR could let me pan around looking everywhere, which I did.                         It´s so fun flying with the TrackIR, having Smith worrying about how I fly.

Everyone cool back there? Ah.. oh sorry, noone with us. Just you and me Smith.                              Now.... Sterling should be out there somewhere - well mayby later. Least the enging seem to run smoothly.

And the weather clouded in again. Must be close to mountains, althoug heading away from them.                  Lets see - little over halfway there, gotta get a little more south.

O-K. Sterling in sight... Now for the descend - Smith, you ready? strap in!                                                  And I thought Colorado was mountains... Guess later it will be.

Alright - little left onto final. Expect it to be good this time Smith.                                                              Safely down, Smith and I looked at the flight map, easily provided by the FSFS program. Nice feature.

- And the scores. Thanks Smith - almost 100 in average. In the Britten Norman... Not bad - not bad at all.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10502
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 2:23:11 AM

Thank you Joe for the remark above... Appreciated. I hope you will join in soon - unpack that flightgear out there in Colorado man...

Todays flight, leg 4, was from Sterling (KSTK) to Akron (KAKO) - a short 26 miles hop. I took a bold decision and changed NOT ONLY aircraft, but Simulator, and went for Prepar3d (P3D).

I purchased the update for FSFlyingSchool Pro for P3D, so I had the FSFlyingSchool Pro 2013 for P3D version ready for this flight. Luckily they have this new Instant Key sales system, where I got my new upgrade key within seconds after I pressed "buy" on the screen. This was really great. No waiting up to 24 hours anymore. Way to go FSInventions...

I decided for the Mooney (P3D defalult aircraft) for this flight.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10503
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:27:30 AM

Leg 5.

Back in FSX for now... I plan to use X-Plane 10 later in the tour, but for now its FSX.

Todays flight goes from Akron (KUKA) to Yuma (2V6) and for this flight I chose something different - A Tiger Moth. I put on my heaviest muff and my seal-fur hat and off I went.

Actually I am quite satisfied.... Not bad in a Tiger Moth.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10504
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:34:39 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:22:17 AM
Wow, amazing detail and great screenshots!

What a great idea to use all 3 versions of FSFlyingSchool on your tour. So which sim is the best? (hides)
Post #10505
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:40:00 AM

Alright... the Tiger Moth leg was F-U-N, but unfortunately it was also C-O-L-D! And since I am a heat-loving dude, I went to my trusted and lovely warm BN-2 Islander again. Gotta be good for a few more legs this one.

Todays poison is a fairly short flight of 55 miles, that´s nautical miles of course, as always.

So Three digits landing score... Thanks for this Smith. Appreciated.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10506
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:06:12 AM

John Paul Jones (1/15/2013)
Wow, amazing detail and great screenshots!

What a great idea to use all 3 versions of FSFlyingSchool on your tour. So which sim is the best? (hides)

Hi there John..

Yes I got to think that this could be the perfect time to try out all three new versions of FSFlyingSchool. I already had the X-Plane latest version and the FSX version, also latest, so I hobbled up the dough for the upgrade version for P3D, and now I am able to do a tour with all three versions of FSFlyingSchool.

So all I need now - is regaining my skills in this. I suck at the moment - but I have been there before - and know that it will probably be even worse before it goes better -

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #10507
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:18:22 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi Ole!

Whoa - great reporting and great pictures!

Thanks for taking the time to share this fascinating trip with us - and giving us the real facts, good and bad, about how pleased or displeased old Smitty was with the flights.

Looking forward to your next instalment and especially to seeing your thoughts on the experience with X-Plane 10!

Any thoughts about trying out a flight with the new Baron Detail Pack in FSFS PRO 2013?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10508
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:52am