FSFS Voice Command Stopped working-Help!

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

FSFS Voice Command Stopped working-Help! Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 1:51:20 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:18:00 AM
I have installed FSFlyingSchool Pro 2017 and registered. It works fine with my FSX Steam Edition.
I activated the Voice Command feature yesterday (5 Sep 2018). It worked fine yesterday. My voice commands were understand by FSFS and the instructor responded to my voice commands. Today, I tried to use the voice command feature again and it would not work. Nothing I tried worked. No responses from the instructors, no matter what I said. Voice Recogniyion came with my computer. I also have the latest edition of FSUIPC4. My op system is Win10.
Reloaded FSFS-no luck. I downloaded the voice recognition app noted in the Voice Command Manual. That did not work either.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue?
Any help would be appreciated.
George Keefe
Post #13087
Posted Thursday, September 07, 2017 2:31:44 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi George:

Glad to help.

It's good to know, as a starting point, that you had Voice Commands working. If it worked before, I am sure we can get back to that.

Evidently something has changed on the PC or in the way you used FSX or FSFlyingSchool and we need to determine what it was.

There are of course options within FSFlyingSchool which must be checked to make sure that they are all set to listen to your voice.

What is the setting of 'Voice Command Status' at the settings screen of FSFlyingSchool PRO 2017 for FSX/FSX-SE/FS2004?

Which sound card is selected?

Have you changed that setting at any time?

Is the Voice Command Pack registered? If so its prefix code will appear in the detail packs section of the credits screen of FSFlyingSchool. If it is not registered then the Voice Command Pack will only function within the DEMO area.

You must not have any speech recognition software running when you start FSFlyingSchool. It has its own speech recognition software and this cannot function if other speech recognition software is running at the same time.

Have you physically changed the voice input device? (Swapped a microphone or even just unplugged something and then plugged it back in again)?

Does the microphone have a mute button?

Has background noise increased? This can cause all voice input to be ignored.

Do your other Windows speech recognition functions still work?

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any questions.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13088
Posted Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:44:10 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Jeff, Answers to you recommendations

Hi George:

Glad to help.

It's good to know, as a starting point, that you had Voice Commands working. If it worked before, I am sure we can get back to that.

Evidently something has changed on the PC or in the way you used FSX or FSFlyingSchool and we need to determine what it was
AGREED

There are of course options within FSFlyingSchool which must be checked to make sure that they are all set to listen to your voice.

What is the setting of 'Voice Command Status' at the settings screen of FSFlyingSchool PRO 2017 for FSX/FSX-SE/FS2004?
“CONTROLLED BY MIC KEY (5)”

Which sound card is selected?
My HP laptop only has ONLY one SOUND CARD, so I select “default” Same setting when it worked.

Have you changed that setting at any time? NO

Is the Voice Command Pack registered? If so its prefix code will appear in the detail packs section of the credits screen of FSFlyingSchool. If it is not registered then the Voice Command Pack will only function within the DEMO area.
I thought VOICE CMD WAS PART OF FSFS. SO I DO NOT KNOW ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION. HOW DO I REGISTER. I REGISTERED FSFS,

I TRIED RUNNING AT DEMO AIRPORT, KGRB, IT DID NOT WORK?

You must not have any speech recognition software running when you start FSFlyingSchool. It has its own speech recognition software and this cannot function if other speech recognition software is running at the same time.
I AM NOT SURE HOW I DID IT WHEN IT WORKED , I HAD THE LITTLE VOICE RECOGNITION BOX AT THE TOP OF MY SCREEN. I HAVE TRIED WITH ON AND OFF. NO LUCK EITHER WAY.
NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND THIS . IF THAT IS THE CASE, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE BUTTON ON THE FSFS SETTINGS PAGE FOR WINDOWS SOUND RECOGNITION SETTINGS?

Have you physically changed the voice input device? (Swapped a microphone or even just unplugged
NO

something and then plugged it back in again)? NO

Does the microphone have a mute button? NO

Has background noise increased? This can cause all voice input to be ignored. NO

Do your other Windows speech recognition functions still work? YES

THANK YOU

Again, I do thank you for your help.
Respectfully,
George Keefe, Captain, US Navy Submarine Service, Retired

Post #13089
Posted Thursday, September 07, 2017 5:48:07 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Jeff,
More info for you about Voice Command registration.
You asked:
“ Is the Voice Command Pack registered? If so its prefix code will appear in the detail packs section of the credits screen of FSFlyingSchool. If it is not registered then the Voice Command Pack will only function within the DEMO area.”
I entered codes in the email sent by FS.

[Example data removed by SL]

The following is an excerpt from page 2 of the Voice Command Manual:
“IMPORTANT - Note that the Voice Command Pack and the Voice Command Pack Deluxe were
previously sold separately - with their own license codes. This is no longer the case - they are both built into FSFlyingSchool PRO 2016 and as such there are no codes to enter.”

So, I guess question is, do I need another registration KEY for Voice Command Pack? If so, how do I get it?

Also included in this post are screen shots from FSFS FYI to help troubleshoot. At least, I hope. I am not sure that I added attachments correctly.

I only see the main application and in detail packs GPSTUPK AND APTUTPK.

I hope all this data helps you find my mistake.
Again, I really appreciate your help with this!

George Keefe
Post #13090
Posted Thursday, September 07, 2017 9:48:40 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi George:

Please accept my apologies - I'd been working through several X-Plane related tasks and was thinking with my "FSFlyingSchool 2017 for X-Plane" hat on - and that version has a demo mode for the Voice Command Pack and a separate license code.

You are quite correct, FSFlyingSchool PRO 2017 for FSX/FSX-SE/FS2004 has no separate license for this and therefore has no 'demo mode' for it either.

So... that cannot be the issue here.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13091
Posted Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:06:11 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi George:

Thanks for all the data - excellent work! Much appreciated. It helps so much when pilots answer all our questions.

Here goes...

1. A quick test would be to set the Voice Command in FSFlyingSchool to "Listen all the time" instead of when the Mic key is pressed - this will eliminate any worries about that key. It worked before of course - but I still want to know if this makes a difference.

2. >>>> You must not have any speech recognition software running when you start FSFlyingSchool. It has its own speech recognition software and this cannot function if other speech recognition software is running at the same time.
>> I AM NOT SURE HOW I DID IT WHEN IT WORKED , I HAD THE LITTLE VOICE RECOGNITION BOX AT THE TOP OF MY SCREEN. I HAVE TRIED WITH ON AND OFF. NO LUCK EITHER WAY.
NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND THIS . IF THAT IS THE CASE, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE BUTTON ON THE FSFS SETTINGS PAGE FOR WINDOWS SOUND RECOGNITION SETTINGS?

This suggests to me that it has the greatest chance of being the key factor.

There are many ways that this could be configured and we need to make sure that there is, categorically, no speech recognition software running when you start FSFlyingSchool.

If there is any sign of such an application it must be stopped and closed, as in terminated. Shut down.

>> WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE BUTTON ON THE FSFS SETTINGS PAGE FOR WINDOWS SOUND RECOGNITION SETTINGS?

In order for FSFlyingSchool to recognize your voice, Windows Speech Recognition (as a general concept) must be performing at a very high level of accuracy. Users need to train it and make sure that their sound equipment is working very well.
But regardless of this requirement, you must not have any speech recognition software application (program) running when you start FSFlyingSchool as it has its own speech recognition software and this cannot function if other speech recognition software is running at the same time.

Post #13092
Posted Friday, September 08, 2017 9:12:03 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Jeff!
Please do not worry about spending time with my problem. I am sure you want to help everyone you can. I am retired US Navy Submarine Service, so I have time to be patient. I really do appreciate your help.

Below are the latest results of your troubleshooting steps:

1. A quick test would be to set the Voice Command in FSFlyingSchool to "Listen all the time" instead of when the Mic key is pressed - this will eliminate any worries about that key. It worked before of course - but I still want to know if this makes a difference.

GEORGE RESPONSE

*******Tested and complete-Did not correct issue

2. >>>> You must not have any speech recognition software running when you start FSFlyingSchool. It has its own speech recognition software and this cannot function if other speech recognition software is running at the same time.
>> I AM NOT SURE HOW I DID IT WHEN IT WORKED , I HAD THE LITTLE VOICE RECOGNITION BOX AT THE TOP OF MY SCREEN. I HAVE TRIED WITH ON AND OFF. NO LUCK EITHER WAY.

This suggests to me that it has the greatest chance of being the key factor.

There are many ways that this could be configured and we need to make sure that there is, categorically, no speech recognition software running when you start FSFlyingSchool.

GEORGE RESPONSE

When I open the FSFS SETTINGS PAGE FOR WINDOWS SOUND RECOGNITION SETTINGS (SCREENSHOT ATTACHED), I do carry out the actions listed to basically set my voice profile. The real question is should I carry out the first step with the microphone (“Start Speech Recognition”). Since you said all speech recognition must be closed, I am not sure the windows app above should also be shutdown. I have tried both ways (on and off) with no luck.

If there is any sign of such an application it must be stopped and closed, as in terminated. Shut down.

>> WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE BUTTON ON THE FSFS SETTINGS PAGE FOR WINDOWS SOUND RECOGNITION SETTINGS?

In order for FSFlyingSchool to recognize your voice, Windows Speech Recognition (as a general concept) must be performing at a very high level of accuracy. Users need to train it and make sure that their sound equipment is working very well.
But regardless of this requirement, you must not have any speech recognition software application (program) running when you start FSFlyingSchool as it has its own speech recognition software and this cannot function if other speech recognition software is running at the same time.

GEORGE RESPONSE

**** Same comment as above:
When I open the FSFS SETTINGS PAGE FOR WINDOWS SOUND RECOGNITION SETTINGS , I do carry
out the actions listed to basically set my voice profile. The real question is should I carry out the first step with the microphone (“Start Speech Recognition”). Since you said all speech recognition must be closed, I am not sure the if windows app above should also be shutdown. I have tried both ways (on and off) with no luck.

Today, I also uninstalled the FSFS app and re-downloaded and re-installed FSFS. Did not correct issue.

***** I am thinking I may need a new headset with an attached boom mic. I am looking at the logitech H390.

********Hang in there Jeff!!
I was going to add another attachment, but it would not let. Said I had no more room for attachment. I guess I do not understand this yet.

Respectfully ,
George Keefe
Post #13094
Posted Sunday, September 10, 2017 5:53:20 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi George:

I am sure we will get there. FSFlyingSchool is in use on 1000s of PCs all over the world and has been for over 10 years.

>> Since you said all speech recognition must be closed, I am not sure the windows app above should also be shutdown. I have tried both ways (on and off) with no luck.

The Windows Speech Recognition program, which you can see on the screen must be closed - not merely "off".

It is entirely redundant to the process we want to run (flying with FSFlyingSchool) and indeed, will stop it from working.

You must close the Windows Speech Recognition program before running FSFlyingSchool.

Post #13095
Posted Monday, September 11, 2017 7:50:25 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Jeff,
Believe it or not, I got the Voice Command to work in FSFS! Basic corrective action as follows:
1. I uninstalled MS Speech SKDK 5.1.MSI (I had downloaded from the link in your Voice Command Manual and installed to see if that would help).
2. In FSFS SETTINGS VOICE COMMAND STATUS DROPDOWN I selected “On-Listen at all times”
3. In Sound Card setup, I selected “Default Sound Card”
4. I made sure the MS Voice Recognition Software was not running.
When I study my notes and figure out what else I did, I will share, so others may be able to learn from my blunders.
Thank you so much for your help during this effort.
Respectfully,
George Keefe

Post #13098
Posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:33:48 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi George:

Many thanks for sharing your information with us - it all helps build a body of knowledge for all to see. This means that in a great number of cases, folks can find an answer in moments without having to wait for a reply - and that keeps pilots up and flying instead of grounded, sitting around in a damp hangar!

Post #13099
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:15am